Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bucket Lists

I have been seriously thinking about writing a new bucket list since I turned in Desert Gift. That was the summer of 2010.
            I had a short one as a teenager: tour Europe, join the Peace Corps, be a teacher, get married, have 5 kids, live happily ever after. Most of that happened. Five kids got downsized to two. “Happily” got re-defined into something deeper. People tell me the Peace Corps takes seniors.
            When I started writing, I wanted to become published. Check. When I began writing fiction, I wanted to see one novel with my name on the spine on a library shelf. Check and then some.
            I haven’t figured out the procrastination / hesitation at this stage. Rohr probably addresses this in that Falling Upward book mentioned earlier. To paraphrase, it has something to do with a changing mindset (as in ongoing changing). Doing takes a back seat to being.
            Thomas Merton sums up my contentment:  “Every day love corners me somewhere and surrounds me with peace without having to look very far or very hard or do anything special.”
            What else is there?
            I’ll keep us posted because I’m sure there is more, in some fashion, that can go on the List. =)

OTHER STUFF:
            Last night Tim and I attended a small trade show for Christian booksellers in the Los Angeles area. I got to meet bookstore people and sign copies of Desert Gift and give them away and I met the sales rep from Tyndale who makes sure my books get into a whole lot of stores. VERY fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment